Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Changing the World Part 2...


With the posting of this last blog for this series I must say I have a feeling of true accomplishment. When I first set out two months ago to find one answer to a teacher’s question for an interactive whiteboard solution, I never imagined I would be where I am now. It is because of that journey starting with one question that I reached the point I am at now where I have found answers to a host of questions. And the funny thing is I never intended to answer more than that one question.

In the coming weeks I plan on looking at more apps and websites on the market for teacher interaction. I fully intend to continue this journey as far as it takes me. So without further ado, my final blog is here. This is the most comprehensive and detailed display (In the form of Youtube videos, including the comments section of each video which has additional information and links for help so check that area out as well while watching.)of supplemental resources I have created thus far. I am excited to be at the point where I am now. The main support structure of what I want to accomplish will be completed with this last blog on Technology in the Classroom with Dynamic Web Environments. Good times, good times indeed!

The first video I have below shows anyone how to quickly set up your Google Chrome browser as an Interactive learning environment. You do this using the FVD Speed Dial Extension that you would download in the Chrome Webstore.


Once this Extension is installed you can add specific websites and apps as you see fit. Then using the website tabs (Found in the middle of the browser) or the apps found on the left side of the page in a column, you can set up a highly dynamic web environment that essentially could have ALL of your lesson resources in one interface.

This allows the teacher full interaction and mobility depending on their available technology. With an interactive whiteboard of any type the teacher can remain in the front of the room and engage their students on a level they may not have been able to before using this configuration.

Or a teacher could use an IPad/IPhone or Android device to take over the desktop of their computer and interact with the Chrome browser in real time while moving through the room and collaborating with their students on the fly.

Using these solutions, and the power of the Chrome Webstore (Keep in mind that Google Play is ALSO available on the Chrome Browser so essentially ANY app you have already purchased for your phone or touchpad for an android device can be accessed in this way as well. This is just another way of MANY to engage your students in ways that were never available until now.



The next video below shows how easy it is to set up an Edmodo account and use all of the basic features available for student and teacher collaboration. There are five main modes of communication; Note, Alert, Assignment, Quiz, and Poll. Using these communication tools a teacher can collaborate not only with their students on anything from assignments to quizzes, but they can also collaborate with other teachers in their network  (This could be as close as grade level, then school, then district, then state, so on and so forth.) and share such resources with one another in real time.


Finally, the best part of this is the fact that the teachers have all sorts of resources available to them to use to help enhance their learning management system. They have the calendar, alerts to send text messages to parents or students, and a grade book to monitor and keep a tally of their students’ progress through assignments, quizzes, and polls.

There are other Learning Management Systems out there that are similar to this one but Edmodo has seemed very intuitive and user-friendly to me. Not to mention it is free.

Other available LMS solutions are below for you to consider. Any of these will work. And the ones I have listed are free.



www.pearsonlearningsolutions.com/openclass/ (Open Class is an LMS that requires your entire district to embrace it. While the above links such as mybigcampus, moodle; and even Edmodo you do not have to have your entire school district sign up to experience the magic of the LMS. While this is one disadvantage to using Open Class, the big factor here is that several districts across the US are embracing this new LMS option because it is absolutely free, and it is backed by both Pearson AND Google, two massive powerhouses for the education field.

Either way you look at this, all of these options can only mean one thing for our teachers, innovation and revolution in the classroom. By breaking down the barriers that the four walls of a school create, we can reach students in ways we never could before.



My final video below shows how to create a very basic, streamlined website using Google Sites. With just a few minutes of your time, and your online resources available, you can link them all in one easy to access website interface that you can tailor to your own taste and style. You can make it as basic OR complex as you like depending on the time you have available. I show how easy it is to create a quick intuitive/ interactive website that can be up and running in minutes thus optimizing the power of your technology and taking one step closer to answering the question of how to implement common core into your current lesson plans.



I wanted to add the links to the template page that shows where I found my simple template.

And this final link is directly to the website template I used in this video.

I want to thank everyone for your time put into reading all of my blogs and videos during the course of this series. Please stay tuned and I will let you know when I begin the next sequence I partake in. I welcome any feedback or suggestions you may have as well.

Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment