Monday, November 12, 2012

The Drum of the Heartbeat Plays a Song of Numerical Invention

What does it mean to create? What does it mean to inspire? What does it mean to spark light, infuse someone with hopes and dreams, cascade their every wish like a waterfall within arm’s reach. So close the mist consumes them and makes them close their eyes and take flight, soaring high above the vast backdrops of creativity, the sheer snow kissed cliffs of inspiration, and the warm embrace of the dawn of a new day.

Every single day our teachers instill this into our children. Our little dreamers, our future blinkers, they stare quietly, intently, and purposefully at those instructors, each and every moment passing for the first time and the last time. For no second that has been spent will ever return. It is here one instant and gone the next. To have such a calling, such a credence thrust upon them takes a true calling to accomplish.
My wife teaches fourth grade. She has taught for 14 years. I admire her for this. I truly admire anyone in the public education field. To live a life of service, to help mold our children, strengthen them, and tune their dreams into something attainable is honestly a gift. It is my belief that all teachers who genuinely have this calling have the propensity to be great; great in ways they can never fathom. It is my own creed that with a little innovation, a little nudge into the unknown, a slight shove off that precipice of innovation I mentioned in my previous blogs, teachers can reach heights they on no occasion knew they could. I believe this because I have seen it more than once. I have seen a teacher so apprehensive towards technology that they feared its use. Yet with just a little guidance they blossomed into something amazing.
So I sit here again, another evening in my attendance, writing my thoughts. Hoping I can make sense of what I know is true. I know the question that so many in the education field have. I know they want to know, “How can we make this easier? How can we do this a better and easier way?”
I believe that teachers, staff, and administrators are inundated with so much information that it is sensory overload. Imagine a warehouse full of red balls. When they opened the door to this warehouse a flood of red balls came crashing down upon them the likes of which they had never seen. Red balls of every shape and size, texture and mass. So many red balls that they didn’t even know where to start. They didn’t know how to even begin to separate them into discernible groups because each one was so uniquely different. In this analogy I akin the digital landscape of core curriculum, collaborative tools, web 2.0 resources, such a smorgasbord of options it is dizzying to say the least.
I believe in a streamlined environment. Even in this digital revolution we are in, I trust that sense can be made out of the chaos that surrounds us. I know that there is a way to sift through all of these things, the apps, the websites, the programs, the vendors, and really get down to the meat and potatoes of what really innovates in the 21st century classroom environment.
In the two months I have been discovering this vast landscape myself, I have found an order to this chaos. I have realized that there truly is a clear and concise way to file through all of the data and assemble it in a relevant way that is meaningful to a teacher. To give a little more information on where this is going let me give direction on what I am talking about…
After about a week of searching for interactive websites that would be useful with SMART Boards and other similar devices, I stumbled upon what I like to refer to my diamond in the rough. I had managed to find at least 50 to 60 relevant, meaningful, and informative interactive websites at this point and it was then that I ended up following a link from one of those websites to another interactive lesson. However, this particular lesson required me to install Google Chrome. This was the first such “app” based approach I had seen on the PC browser based atmosphere I have known for so long. Yet here I was scratching my head asking myself how such a thing was even relevant? Why make an interactive lesson browser specific? Then it hit me…
Apple. This has been the Apple model since time immemorial. Since their inception, Apple has held a tight rein on who develops what for them and how they disseminate it to their consumer base. So, in a sense, this was nothing new to the digital landscape I write about so often. Yet, this tiny discovery made me realize that there is this whole other side of the internet that I never realized was there. At least in the aspect of a PC based environment like 95 percent of our school district is.
Thus I immediately downloaded the Google Chrome web browser and quickly began to explore its many distinct functions. I must say, though, once I discovered the Chrome Web store portion of the browser, this changed EVERYTHING for me. It made me realize that I had found, at least in one way, a specific answer to that eternal question our educators have always asked. Using the Chrome browser, the web store, and the countless apps, interactive games, resources, and educational areas within its navigation, I was able to find a viable cost-effective (Essentially FREE) interface. Chrome allows a teacher to link their relevant web pages, specific documents, presentations, and apps all in one seamless platform. Essentially a teacher could deliver their entire lesson from the front of the room using an interactive whiteboard or virtually anywhere with a tablet with desktop controlling software such as Smoothboard air with duo or Splashtop.
Using a combination of interactive websites I had already found and the newly discovered Google Chrome interface with its many extensions and apps, I created a virtual playground that could be the potential canvas of creativity for any teacher. And the beauty of the entire discovery was that this whole solution would work with ANY interactive whiteboard so every single teacher in the county would benefit from its use.
Below are two videos I created using Cam Studios software (A free software program I found for Windows XP/Vista/ and Windows 7) and a simple microphone.
The software captures the activity on your desktop and allows you to record your voice for explanation of what you are doing onscreen. The potential of this software in our learning environment is already being applied by several teachers. Classroom flipping for one, and supplemental videos to help teachers incorporate technology into their classroom are all essential to the changes that are on the horizon. Not to mention that everyone learns differently. Some like to read through instruction manuals and have a set of chronological steps to a solution, while others like to have visual guidance. I feel that this solution is best for a great deal of our teachers because they are already on borrowed time, every second counts so SEEING and HEARING at once brings the best results in my humble opinion.
I made these two videos just as a demonstration on the Google Chrome interface and its use with the Smoothboard software that we have a few teachers using at the High School. The videos are meant as supplemental material and not as official training videos in any way. The idea is to get this information out so our teachers have access to relevant and meaningful data that they can use and see results immediately.

The first video can be found here...



And the second video can be found here…



Thank you again for your time and I hope this blog is beneficial to you.
Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment